Wednesday 2 January 2013

No blog today

So sorry, my darlings, especially after all your kind New Year messages. But it is deadline day tomorrow, and I have been in a work storm. Apart from walking Stanley the Dog, and a very happy hour with this person -

2 Jan 1

- who was at her absolute crest and peak of sweetness and dearness and love – I have been at my desk from nine until nine. I NEVER do this. But a combination of mania and caffeine drove me on, and I seem to have written 4170 words.

My friend The Man of Letters would be horrified. He thinks one should not do more than about 800 a day. (He sends me emails saying: Hope you are not galloping too fast. Which I blithely ignore, even though he is one of the wisest men I know.) Graham Greene said 500 was the right amount. Trollope did not do word count, but simply wrote from the moment he woke until he had to go to his day job at the post office, where he was kept busy inventing the pillar box. If that time came in the very middle of a sentence, he would flintily lay down his pen and resume the next day exactly where he broke off.

Sadly I am neither Greene nor Trollope, and I am rashly dashing away with the smoothing iron. These writing fevers come on me sometimes, and at least it swells the chapter count, even though half of it shall end up as dead darlings in the second draft.

At least I am not going to do my usual thing of staying up all night before a hard deadline. Too tired from Christmas festivities for that. It’s a little Van the Man on the stereo, and a mild two more hours of editing, and then, as the old school say, Up the Stairs to Bedfordshire. (You may see how crazed I have become; I have never used that expression in my life.)

5 comments:

  1. Rolling with laughter at Bedfordshire. And after all, you did give us a blog.

    Now that I am catching up, your Christmas and New Year's blogs were lovely. All the best to Red, Myfanwy, Stanley, and of course, you.

    Bird

    ReplyDelete
  2. It could have been worse, you could have said "up the wooden hill to Bedfordshire ".
    Well done on the word count I never managed more than 2000 in a day when I was studying.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did post Happy New Year but my rubbish phone clearly lied to me AGAIN. So I shall simply repeat Happy New Year to you and Red and tribe and Stanley and thank you for the loveliness x

    ReplyDelete
  4. a very happy new year to you and yours Tania, hpe your mum is on the mend and that 2013 is filled with gentleness for you x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Dr OGO for your genuine spells. This is really incredible, and I have never experienced anything like this in my life. Before I came in contact with Dr OGO, I have tried every possible means that I could to get my husband back, but I actually came to realize that nothing was working out for me, and my husband had developed a lot of hatred for me.. I thought there was no hope of reuniting with my husband until my friend told me about dr OGO and she gave me dr OGO website i googled it and read good reviews about Dr OGO work , I decided to give it a try and I did everything that he instructed me and I trusted in him and followed his instructions just as he had guaranteed me in 24 hours, and that was exactly when my husband called me and ask for forgiveness that he his on his way to my house .. We are good more than ever. Everything looks perfect and so natural! Thank you so much for your authentic and indisputable spells. Thank you Dr OGO for your help. If you need help in your marriage or broken relationship, contact Dr OGO right now for urgent help Email:ogospellcaster@gmail.com OR ogospellcaster@gmail.com View his Call/WhatsApp him: +2347057052206

    ReplyDelete

Your comments give me great delight, so please do leave one.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin