Saturday 19 January 2013

After the storm.

Last night, out of a clear sky, a howling storm of grief blew in from the west.

Sometimes, I will mourn each individual, because something will remind me. The last time I cried for my dad, I was watching a film about Frankel, and it made me inexpressibly sad that the old fella was not alive to see that great horse.

But this one was completely non-specific. There was no catalyst. Suddenly, violently, unexpectedly, I missed my troika of Dear Departeds so badly I could not move or breathe.

This does not happen very often now. The thing I have discovered about the passage of time is that it does not soften the missing, but it puts longer and longer gaps of normality between the storms. This particular hurricane was not only violent, but it went on for a long time. For a while, I felt as if I were underwater. Each time I thought I had broken the surface, another wave came and crashed over my head.

Even though I know this happens, even though I know it is normal and right, the initial reaction is a kind of panic. My mind races around, trying to find something to hold onto. It needs a reason. But, shouts my rational self, you had a really good day. What is going on? yells my voice of sense; there’s no call for this, it adds, in stern reproof.

Then, when I realise it is bigger than I am, elemental, visceral, inexplicable, I give in to it. Oh, all right, says the bashed old heart, I’ll bloody well ache. Spit spot, get it all out, says the Mary Poppins voice. Better out than in.

It took about an hour. Afterwards, I felt tired and cleansed. There it all goes, the missing, the regret, the gap. It was after midnight. I took Stanley the Dog out. The snow was coming in again from the west, not yet falling, but mustering in the sky for its last big push. A miraculous effect was going on, a strange diffused light, as if the whiteness had gathered the lamplight from the village and spread it everywhere like butter. It was almost as bright as day, but a low, amber colour. Stanley bounded around, a slender racing silhouette. The beauty and stillness shimmered and sang around me. I felt lucky, and alive, and present in the world.

Must ask the Dear Readers, I thought. Must ask if this is a thing. It’s almost two years since my father died, and my first dog. Two months since the lovely old Pigeon slipped the surly bonds of earth. It seems a little peculiar to a rational mind that the grief should still be this sharp, this big.

I thought of my good day. It had been filled with laughter and love. Perhaps it was because I had a good day that the sudden mourning came. Perhaps you need to be happy to allow yourself to be really sad. Perhaps that is when you feel safe, as if knowing your body and mind can take it.

I always say the grieving must be done. Nothing worse than bottling it all up; it gets twisted inside you then, and bad things happen. Perhaps it does not stop. Perhaps it is like a rose garden, which must be tended and pruned and fertilised. I must shovel manure, or the thing will go to seed. It does astonish me, all the same. But perhaps it is a tribute, to the lost loves.

I’m fine now. The tempest has passed and the usual reasserts itself. There is six inches of snow, and more to come. The horses are still and happy in the white, mooching around their new palatial shelter, warm in their rugs. All the racing is off, so I am going to have a quiet day with a good book. As always, after these shaking blasts, I go very slowly, feeling my way back into the real world. I expect I shall make some soup. Because soup makes everything better.

 

Today’s pictures:

Are of snow and equines:

19 Jan 1

19 Jan 2

19 Jan 3

19 Jan 4

19 Jan 5

19 Jan 6

19 Jan 7

19 Jan 7-001

19 Jan 10

19 Jan 11

19 Jan 12

19 Jan 14

19 Jan 15

Myfanwy the SNOW PONY:

19 Jan 20

19 Jan 19

Autumn the Filly:

19 Jan 20-001

With their new palace:

19 Jan 25

At the old gate:

19 Jan 22

19 Jan 23

My beloved Red, who is enough to soothe the sorest heart:

19 Jan 26

19 Jan 28

And Mr Stanley, who quite frankly is looking so handsome I have no words for it:

19 Jan 30

Those eyes.

No hill today; lost in the snow.

8 comments:

  1. Could you see the aurora borealis from where you are?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely words, beautiful pictures, the horses look so content. Made me think of my lost ones ( as I do quite often), especially my boy Bob, lost 20 months ago to colic. How he would have loved this snow! Breaks my heart. Stanley the Dog is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had my own storm earlier out walking the dog. It occurred to me that although the great loss is now over a year and a half ago now it is only now that the missing is setting in hard. It is if the ephemeral presence is drifting further away, more out of reach. I know my loss has transformed me but in the eye of the storm it is no comfort. In the eye and teeth of it , all seems lost. But I weather it and am now slumped. I wonder if it will ever leave me. I am starting to think not. I tried to love well and grief is the price. It's not the bargain we have in mind at the time: the day we are born, the day we fall in love, the day we bring home a new member of our family. But that is the deal. Sometimes I must be weeping for the realisation of that inescapable fact.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So many nows. Oh for an editor :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stanley's eyes are the color of really good single malt whiskey, or perhaps cream sherry... either way, now I'm thirsty.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sorry you had to weather the grief storm, so sorry to say they will come and come forever more; though as you say with less frequency. I had a howling gale of missing Mum over Christmas, six years since she died; and you know how much I miss my dear Dad after a whopping seventeen. It can be the very saddest thing of all when you think of what they are missing, in my case it's their not seeing George that I feel so keenly.
    Such beautiful photographs...I think I love your snow pictures best of all.
    Anne.x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those eyes AND those ears AND that nose with just a sprinkling of snow. What a lovely boy. :)
    AND M is quite the snow pony. Must stop now...

    I don't think grief ever entirely goes; I think the intensity changes. For me missing my Dad who died in 1985 can bring such a fresh onslaught of pain sometimes that it shocks me. Most of the time I just keenly feel the loss of him in my day, in my daughter's life.

    The snow pictures are just beautiful. x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hope you had a lovely day. What good book are you reading? Your snow somehow looks more beautiful than ours.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments give me great delight, so please do leave one.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin